Here’s an example of taking a store-bought product – plain-as-dirt canned pork and beans (or vegetarian beans) and fancying it up to make a meal worth eating. This is a crowd favorite to this day and was always a requested item on our menu at the Memphis restaurants.
- 16 ounce can of store bought baked beans (we like Bush’s)
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup W’ham® Seasoning – Original Mild
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup W’ham® Sauce – Sweet’n’Sassy
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1/4 lbs pulled pork or chopped rib meat
In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and stir completely to blend. Do not drain the beans.
Pour the beans into a casserole dish, bean crock or aluminum food service pan and cover tightly. We like to put these on the coolest part of our cooker during a long cook and let the beans slowing cook for hours. We are lucky enough on our our Willingham’s W’ham® Turbo Cooker to have a warming box that stays at a constant 180 degrees so we can let these roll on during the entire cook up to 12 hours. Depending your choice of cooking apparatus the time and temp might vary. If cooking in the oven we suggest 250 degrees for 3 1/2 hours minimum.